14 May 2008

GRAND POPO: The Beach & Hotel

Room with a View
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damian:
Becky: The lovely view from our front porch. At night we could hear the waves crashing, and I slept really well. Another reason I slept well is because we had a nice canopy of mosquito netting on our bed. I loved this simple room. The third picture is our little bungalow, which we shared with several salamanders. Next to our bungalo was a huge building that housed many other little hotel rooms. It was like a big old plantation building, and I thought it was gorgeous.
Swim at Your Own Risk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damian:
Becky: The hotel had a little pool, but we didn't go swimming in it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't chlorinated, and I was suspicious of the shallow bath-water-temperature festering in the sun all day. Here I was so hot I almost dove in. The crashing waves on the beach were a different story. The waves were huge and the undertow inevitable, so we couldn't really swim in the ocean, either. It was purgatory to be somewhere so hot, next to the ocean, and to not be able to swim. I did go in up to my knees. We saw one unsuspecting woman wade in casually up to her waist, only to be knocked over by a huge wave. We held our breath until we saw her head pop up near the shore. She stayed clear of the sea after that. I actually had hoped that she would need me to run in and rescue her, just so I had an excuse to get in the water... I'm probably overconfident in my swimming skills on that. Late one afternoon we spotted some local boys swimming a little bit in the break, but even they didn't venture in all of the way.

Chips Ahoy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damian:
Becky: We spotted some "sailboats" from the beach one afternoon. The sails were square, and looked like they were a bunch of square pieces of fabric stitched together. As they got closer to shore they collapsed the sails so we captured that action. I can't believe those little boats go out into those turbulent waves!



Fine Dining
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damian:
Becky: We enjoyed a little break from local pile and wagasi (and diarrhea) and ate some amazing French cuisine at our hotel's restaurant. We even got to have beer and wine, and one night we played Gin Rummy and I almost won, but didn't. I still have yet to beat Damian in scrabble or cards.



Who am I? What is my purpose in life?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Damian:
Becky: We get contemplative on the beach, gazing out at the water, pondering the meaning of our own existence. (wink). The video clip of him looking out at the waves makes me think of The Truman Show.


No comments: